THC Gummies

Massachusetts Middle Schoolers Hospitalized, Edibles To Blame

 On Friday, December 14, two Worcester, MA middle schoolers from  Mountainview Middle School were hospitalized after they consumed “edible” gummy bears.

These gummy bears are infused with THC, the ingredient found in cannabis responsible for psychoactivity. That morning, the two students experimented with the candies. One of which, had a negative reaction and was taken by ambulance to the hospital. The other student, not showing harmful symptoms, was sent to the same hospital to be kept under observation.

The question as to how the students were able to obtain the gummies has not been answered. However, with the legalization of marijuana and its various products would allow for easier access. Superintendent Darryll McCall has been against legalization and stated that “The district and families have to deal with this…” This statement is about the trouble of child exposure to harmful products beginning in the home.

Many edibles like infused brownies or cookies, will always pose as a threat to the youth. It comes to no surprise that adults may find it difficult to discern between what is edible and what is an actual threat. This may even be an issue for students.

Even if students understand that these foods and candies classify as drugs, they may not be fully aware of the dangers involved in ingesting them.

The two students from Mountainview are a prime example. Their ignorance toward THC infused gummy bears allowed them to consume the candies without regard for safety or adverse side effects.

This, however, was not the only incident of middle school students being harmed in relation to edible gummies. On November 29, six Florida middle schoolers were sent to the hospital after a 12-year-old student brought and passed around Green Hornet edible gummies.

Unaware that the 100mg package is meant to be divided into ten separate doses, the students consumed more than recommended. This caused all six students to overdose.

They suffered from nausea, dizziness, and stomach pains. The Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd included that “One of them was all but passed out.”

The 12-year-old student was charged with one count of possession of THC, six counts of distribution of THC within 1,000 ft of a school building, and one count of paraphernalia possession. In both of these cases, parents are cooperating fully with authorities to help further the investigation.

These incidents are projected to become far more common as legalization spreads across the United States. It is becoming far too easy for adolescents to come in contact with potentially harmful drugs. It is up to the parents to stay informed and teach their children about the dangers of drug use and abuse.

Join The Discussion